In this episode, Father Philip Eldracher and Peter Eldracher finish discussing the Second Commandment of the Church which is, "to observe the laws of abstinence and fasting laid down by the Church."
A Complete Catechism of the Catholic Religion by Father Joseph Deharbe, S.J. was originally written in German, was very popular in the 19th century, and was translated into English. Bishop Donald Sanborn finds the Deharbe Catechism to be the most complete to convert and instruct people in the Catholic Faith.
Father Eldracher is currently pastor of Mary Help of Christians chapel and provides the Traditional (Tridentine) Latin Mass to faithful Catholics throughout Australia.
You can show your appreciation by supporting the Australian Mission where Fr. Eldracher is based by helping out with this crowd funder (remember that your USD goes a lot further in Australian dollars!): https://www.gofundme.com/f/pduge-buying-a-new-church?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet-first-launch&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer and https://www.givesendgo.com/mhc_chapel
Part 2: On The Commandments (continued)
Chapter 3: The Six Commandments of the Church. The Second Commandment of the Church
Pages 218 – 221 The Six Commandments of the Church: The Second Commandment of the Church
6. On what days are both the laws of abstinence and of fasting to be observed?
7. On what days is the law of fasting, apart from the law of abstinence, to be observed?
8. Do the laws either of abstinence or fasting bind on Sundays or Holidays of obligation?
9. Who are bound by the laws of abstinence and of fasting?
10. May any persons within these ages be excused from fasting or abstinence?
11. What are they to do who believe they have a good reason to be excused from fulfilling the obligations of abstinence and fasting?
12. Is it not superstitious to abstain from certain kinds of food?
13. But does not our Saviour clearly say: "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man"?
14. Should we, on fasting-days, content ourselves with abstaining from food?
The text is available in the public domain for free online as a PDF. Used copies and reprint versions can still be found and purchased.
The music used in this show was composed by Nicholas Wilton. To enjoy more of his work go to: https://www.fourmarksmusic.com/nicholas-wilton
Original Air Date: March 25, 2022
Show Run Time: 34 minutes
Show Host: Peter Eldracher
Show Guest: Fr. Philip Eldracher
Podcast Player (5 Minute Free Preview)
To gain unlimited access to all Restoration Radio shows, you can become an Annual member by clicking the link below.
Already a member? Sign in on the right column.
This is Catholicism℗ is a Production of Member Supported Restoration Radio. Copyright 2022. All Rights are Reserved.