Join Father Philip Eldracher and Alexander for the final episode of the season where they conclude the First Commandment with discussion on the Catholic way of venerating Saints, Relics and Holy Images, making use of Sacramentals and how these are justified against the accusations made by Protestants.
A Complete Catechism of the Catholic Religion by Father Joseph Deharbe, S.J. was originally written in German, was very popular in the 19th century, and was translated into English. Bishop Donald Sanborn finds the Deharbe Catechism to be the most complete to convert and instruct people in the Catholic Faith.
Father Eldracher is currently pastor of Mary Help of Christians chapel and provides the Traditional (Tridentine) Latin Mass to faithful Catholics throughout Australia.
You can show your appreciation by supporting the Australian Mission where Fr. Eldracher is based by helping out with this crowd funder (remember that your USD goes a lot further in Australian dollars!): https://www.gofundme.com/f/pduge-buying-a-new-church?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet-first-launch&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer and https://www.givesendgo.com/mhc_chapel
Part 2: On The Commandments (continued)
Chapter 2: On the Ten Commandments of God (continued) The First Commandment.
Pages 177 – 182 Section 2 Of the First Commandment: The Veneration and Invocation of the Saints.
33. What does the Catholic Church teach respecting the veneration and invocation of the Saints?
34. But is not the honour which we pay to the Saints against the First Commandment?
35. What is the difference between the honour which we show to God and that which we show to the Saints?
36. But do we not kneel down when we honour the Saints? Do we not build churches and altars, and offer the Sacrifice of the Mass to them, as to God Himself?
37. What should we have principally in view when we venerate the Saints?
38. In what does our praying to God differ from our praying to the Saints?
39. Is it, then, in the power of the Saints in Heaven to obtain anything from God in our behalf?
40. Does the Holy Scripture also testify that the Saints in Heaven pray for us?
41. Do, then, the Saints in Heaven know anything of us?
42. But is it not a mark of distrust in Jesus Christ when we address ourselves to the Saints?
43. Why does God grant us many graces through the intercession of the Saints?
44. Whom should we in particular honour and invoke above all the Angels and Saints?
45. Why should we particularly honour and invoke Mary?
46. Should we also honour the images of Jesus Christ and of the Saints?
47. But does not the Scripture say: 'You shall not make to yourselves any idol or graven thing'?
48. But is it not superstitious to pray before images?
49. Does it not prove that we put our trust in images when we go on pilgrimages to them?
50. What is the use of placing images of Christ and of the Saints in our churches?
51. Why do we honour the relics of the Saints?
52. Whence do we know for certain that the veneration of relics is pleasing to God?
The text is available in the public domain for free online as a PDF. Used copies and reprint versions can still be found and purchased.
The music used in this show was composed by Nicholas Wilton. To enjoy more of his work go to: https://www.fourmarksmusic.com/nicholas-wilton
Original Air Date: November 3, 2020
Show Run Time: 58 minutes
Show Guest: Fr. Philip Eldracher
Show Host: Alexander Arthur
Podcast Player (5 Minute Free Preview)
To gain unlimited access to all Restoration Radio shows, you can become an Annual member by clicking the link below.
Already a member? Sign in on the right column.
This is Catholicism℗ is a Production of Member Supported Restoration Radio. Copyright 2020. All Rights are Reserved.