In this episode, Father Philip Eldracher and Peter Eldracher discuss the Eighth Commandment and the various ways in which one sins against this Commandment. As well as what must be done in order to make reparation for the injury done to our neighbors reputation.
A Complete Catechism of the Catholic Religion by Father Joseph Deharbe, S.J. was originally written in German, was very popular in the 19th century, and was translated into English. Bishop Donald Sanborn finds the Deharbe Catechism to be the most complete to convert and instruct people in the Catholic Faith.
Father Eldracher is currently pastor of Mary Help of Christians chapel and provides the Traditional (Tridentine) Latin Mass to faithful Catholics throughout Australia.
You can show your appreciation by supporting the Australian Mission where Fr. Eldracher is based by helping out with this crowd funder (remember that your USD goes a lot further in Australian dollars!): https://www.gofundme.com/f/pduge-buying-a-new-church?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet-first-launch&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer and https://www.givesendgo.com/mhc_chapel
Part 2: On The Commandments (continued)
Chapter 2: On the Ten Commandments of God (continued) The Eighth Commandment of God.
Pages 207 – 211 The Eighth Commandment
1. What does the Eighth Commandment forbid?
2. How are we to give evidence in a court of justice?
3. What other sins are forbidden by the Eighth Commandment?
4. What is meant by a lie?
5. Is it ever lawful to tell a lie?
6. How do we sin by hypocrisy?
7. How do we sin by detraction?
8. When is it allowed to reveal the faults of others?
9. What is to be observed in making such revelation?
10. How do we sin by calumny or slander?
11. Is every calumny or detraction equally sinful?
12. Is it also a sin even to listen to detraction or calumny?
13. What is he obliged to do who, by slander or abusive language, has injured the character of his neighbor?
14. Must we also retract when we have divulged 'true' but hidden faults?
15. When do we sin by false suspicion and rash judgment?
16. What are we 'commanded' by the Eighth Commandment?
17. How far should we also be solicitous for our own honor?
18. How are we to be solicitous for our own reputation?
19. How may we best guard against the sins of the tongue?
The text is available in the public domain for free online as a PDF. Used copies and reprint versions can still be found and purchased.
The music used in this show was composed by Nicholas Wilton. To enjoy more of his work go to: https://www.fourmarksmusic.com/nicholas-wilton
Original Air Date: March 11, 2022
Show Run Time: 37 minutes
Show Host: Peter Eldracher
Show Guest: Fr. Philip Eldracher
Podcast Player (5 Minute Free Preview)
To gain unlimited access to all Restoration Radio shows, you can become an Annual member by clicking the link below.
Already a member? Sign in on the right column.
This is Catholicism℗ is a Production of Member Supported Restoration Radio. Copyright 2022. All Rights are Reserved.